Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Review: Sometimes I Lie

Title Sometimes I Lie
By Alice Feeney
Genre Adult Psychological Thriller
Format Audio book
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
When Amber wakes up in a hospital she has no memory of how she got there. Even worse she's not really awake. She can hear everything going on around her but she's in a coma and can't talk or move. Alternating between one week before her accident and the present the truth slowly unfolds.

First Sentence
I've always delighted in the free fall between sleep and wakefulness.



Maybe you've heard of this one? It's fairly popular in the world of psychological thrillers made popular by the likes of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. I find these to either be a hit or a miss for me.

Sadly, this one was a miss. I just don't get why people are raving about it. It was OK and I didn't see a few things coming but I did see enough to be unimpressed.

At one point I was listening and a huge reveal came but I was at at a restaurant ordering food so I paused it and then just sat there, my mind coming up with this really awesome way the story could go and how mind blowing it would be. Then I started listening again. Nope. It went some predictable boring way and I was left feeling disappointed.

On the bright side I have an awesome idea for a psychological thriller if I could make myself actually write it.


8 comments:

  1. I felt the same way. I think my biggest issue here is the twists which I thought is a bit, well, unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If both you and Melody didn't love this one then I'm going to pass. Life is too short to waste time on disappointing reads. (But I really want to read your thriller...the one you thought up in the restaurant!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the real downfall of this type of book. We have these expectations, and when they aren't met, I think the let down is even greater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the twists are too eye-rolly.

      Delete
  4. I feel the same way about psychological thrillers. They are very hit or miss. You should think about writing out your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha. Before I read the last paragraph of your review, I was thinking, "Jenny always guesses what's going to happen in psychological thrillers. She should totally write her own. I bet it would be awesome and unpredictable." No joke, I really was. DO IT!

    ReplyDelete