Friday, August 25, 2017

Friday Flicks: Annabelle: Creation

Annabelle: Creation
Rating ★★★★


What It's About
In case you've been under a rock, a happy never watch creepy horror movies rock, then you'll know that this is sequel/prequel to Annabelle which is a Conjuring universe movie. Here we learn how the creeptastic doll was created by a nice man who lives in the middle of nowhere with his wife and daughter. Sadly, the daughter dies and when they pray to any power that will listen to them to have some connection to their daughter, a power listens, alright, a demonic power...of course. This is a horror movie after all. So their "daughter" starts communicating with them through this freaky-deaky doll and it's not long before they realize it's not their daughter. Fast forward 12 years and the man and his wife have thought it would be a good idea to let some orphan children come stay with them...this takes place in the 50's...and we're under the understanding that whatever evil was there is gone...or is it? Dun Dun Dun!!!

So, we have this house in the middle of nowhersville, full of girls and the nun that's watching over them, where this horrible thing happened. What could go wrong?

I'm not the greatest person to review horror movies. I don't get scared during them. I actually just laugh. I do get startled when something jumps out or something and some movies disturb me (I'm looking at you Sinister 2) but mostly I just laugh at the absurdity of them.

This movie had all the classic cliche horror movie tricks. You know, footsteps behind you but when you look no one is there, inanimate dolls/scarecrows looking away one minute and then right at you the next. Normally that might be a big turn off but it worked in this movie.

 In a horror movie, I prefer things to make sense and tie together. Not just a bunch of scary crap that doesn't make sense and has zero thought or story behind it. And I like some resolution. I know, I know, horror movies don't have resolutions. They're supposed to think they destroyed the evil but they never really have. That's so you go home from the movies, turn all the lights on in your house and jump at every little sound.


This one doesn't really have any resolutions but since it was a prequel to the first movie it made sense not to have one but rather be a build up to the next movie. It does have an actual story line, though. It's not just scary to be scary with no coherent thought behind it. So I was forgiving.

The actors did a great job. I've always had a soft spot for Anthony Paglia. And LuLu Wilson did a great job too. She was in Ouija Origins of Evil so I knew she'd be good.

 All in all it was a fun cast and your typical horror movie with all the creepiness you could want.

Lets talk
If you're a horror movie watcher, do you prefer when you get to see the evil thing (even just glimpses) or do you prefer only partial viewings that leave your imagination conjuring up the worst?
The reason I ask is because this one had both partial glimpses and full glimpses and I prefer partial. Seeing the evil being, whether it's a ghost, demon, clown, or all around creepy figure tends to take away from the fear. Once you see it full on, in the light, nothing to hide...it just isn't all that scary anymore. What do you think?


Recommendation
See it in the theater.





8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Can't do it, myself, lol. Corey really wants to see it. He'll just have to go alone. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's definitely a possessed doll movie. The doll doesn't move if that helps.

      Delete
  2. I prefer partial glimpses of the evil or scary thing in a movie...the full reveal is usually either disappointing, or laughable. My imagination does a much better job of freaking me out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I usually laugh when they're reveled.

      Delete
  3. I'm not huge on horror movies. Some of them scare me, some of them are just ridiculous. In general, I prefer other genres. When I do watch horror, though, I'm with Lark -- I definitely prefer off-screen monsters. No matter how good the makeup/costuming, movie monsters never look real. My imagination does a better job at conjuring baddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my imagination does a great job all on its own.

      Delete
  4. Before kids, I couldn't let a horror movie go by without watching it. After kids, the logistics haven't worked in my favor. I can read anything and everything no matter who is around, but my visual entertainment for the last 10 years has been horribly lacking. There are so many movies I need to catch up on - Annabelle being one of the many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been done pretty good horror movies released in the last 10 years. Some duds too but they're getting better I think.

      Delete