Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Review: All The Light We Cannot See

Title All The Light We Cannot See
By Anthony Doerr
Genre Adult Historical Fiction
Rating ⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
A blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II. (From Goodreads)

First Sentence
At dusk they pour from the sky. 





There's something about these prize winning books that I just never get. While I get that the writing was poetic and the story takes place in a historical setting, I just don't think that makes it worthy of all the praise. 

The strange, fantastical element to the story just didn't do it for me. It's as if the author came up with this stupid little story that would NEVER sell so he decided to set it in WWII because, well, then it would sell. I'm not sure what the two story lines (of the diamond and WWII) had to do with each other. And when I'm reading a story with two main characters just waiting for their lives to collide it sure as hell better be more than a few pages of the books when they do meet! 

And after all that, Marie-Laure doesn't even remember or care about Werner, the boy who saved her sorry life. 

Stupid story. Honestly wished I had skipped it. 

Should you read it?
If you haven't already read this one, just skip it. 

21 comments:

  1. I liked this book right up until the end...but that ending! It ruined the rest of the book for me. I remember closing the book and thinking, "What was the point?" Because you're right, they should have had more than a few measly pages together at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised you gave it two stars. Sounds like you really hated it. I haven't read this yet, but I still want to. I enjoy Historical Fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if I'll still read this one or not. I might. I guess it depends on my mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's better books out there. Just skip it.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this, but I agree with a lot of your criticisms. I thought the ending was a letdown. I hope the next book you pick up is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one and started it, but it didn't really work for me at the time and I have never got back to it. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always get told to read this book, but the synopsis never appealed to me, and I always have problems with prize winning books as well. I think I'm going to stick to my original plan and skip this one! It really doesn't sound like my kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never felt inclined towards this one, and now I feel even better about skipping it. ☺ Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it. :( I loved it mostly because of the underlying themes of death, rebirth, and what it means to be alive. It's not for everyone, though!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could have been at my book club. Maybe you could have made me see what I missed.

      Delete
  9. GIRL, I'm SO glad you said that! What you wrote is exactly why I didn't read it in the first place. That sort of literary story just isn't for me. I'm a commercial fiction reader, all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never understand these prize winners. Maybe I'm not deep enough.

      Delete
  10. So... the other day when you mentioned this book I somehow in my brain mixed it up with The Light Between Oceans. I haven't read either, but The Light Between Oceans is a downer of a book and I will never, ever, ever read it. And I'll probably never read this one because I will probably forever link it to The Light Between Oceans... which is fine, because I'm not all that impressed with prize winners either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is good to know. I thought I was missing out on something great by not having read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I quit this one halfway through because I was so bored with it. The writing is lovely, but if there's nothing going on ... no thanks!

    ReplyDelete