Friday, November 6, 2015

Review: Me Before You

Title Me Before You
By JoJo Moyes
Genre Adult Contemporary Romance
Pages 369


Synopsis
Lou Clark used to have plans to see the world and go to school. Now she still lives at home in a small box room with no windows, dates the same man she's dated for 7 years and works at the local diner. In a small town known only for it's tourist attraction, not much happens. But when Lou loses her job and finds a new one as a companion for a paraplegic everything she has settled for is going to change.


First Sentence There are a 158 footsteps between the bust stop and home, but it can stretch to 180 if you aren't in a hurry, like maybe you're wearing platform shoes.
My Jarbeled Thoughts
I know I usually try to break up me reviews into "what I liked" and "what I didn't like" but with this book....nope, I just can't do it. I read this book for book club so I thought I'd get an early start. I was worried it would take awhile to read. It didn't. I flew through it. So I guess if you demanded I tell you what I liked I would tell you I liked that this book was so incredibly readable. The writing was practically flawless. So, there you have it. That's what I liked about it...sort of. Grrr!

This book was like driving in a snow storm and coming up on a red light, but when you tap on the break your car doesn't stop...and then everything slows down and you're just staring at the inevitable wishing you could open the car door and bail but you can't, you're are just sitting  there helplessly slamming the break to the floor and watching IT coming.

The funny thing is that somehow, as you're reading, you think that well, maybe everything will be OK. Maybe it will turn out, but you know it won't. You know exactly what's going to happen and it's painful and emotional and wretched and there's nothing you can do about it! Sigh! Honestly, I can see why this book was such a huge success. It's a great discussion book. I'm quite excited to discuss it in book club. Hopefully others felt the feels and will vent with me.

And the whole story is readable. It's interesting. You're into what's going on with each individual character. The story is interesting and funny and entertaining. See? It wasn't all bad.

On a side note, I found it highly amusing that the author writes chick lit and that some people referred to this one as chick lit. What?! I'd hardly call this chick lit.

So, bottom line, It's readable and draws up some interesting questions that make for great discussion, but it's so horrifically sad, in the guise of bittersweet.

12 comments:

  1. Great. Just what I need, a sad book. Sigh. Hopefully, I'll still like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... that's kind of what I was expecting from this, which is probably why I haven't gone out of my way to pick it up. Good to know in case it might intrigue me in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great metaphor for this book! And as you know, I love books like that, the books that make you feel and groan and worry and wring your hands and get you so emotionally worked up. Love it! I too was hoping, but knew it was in vain. Still, I loved these characters and their relationship and so for me, it was a great reading experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds good but if it's horrifically sad...I think it's the type of thing I could only read if I were very, very emotionally prepared for it (and that rarely happens!). Loved reading your thoughts! I hope you manage to find something fun and light-hearted to cheer you up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need something light for sure. It's been all doom and gloom.

      Delete
  5. I really need to read this one. I've heard so many good things. The fact that you liked it makes me want to read it even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had this one sitting on my TBR shelf for a while now and have been so hesitant to start it. I have seen rave reviews and hate reviews, but maybe I just have to dive in know I will have some strong feelings either way or both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And this is precisely why I have yet to actually read one of her books. They all seem to be wildly popular and sound fun to read, but when I've skimmed at the store I've gotten the feeling that what starts out light-hearted doesn't stay that way. So! Will I ever read one of her stories? Not sure. Great review anyway! You certainly intrigued me. :)

    ReplyDelete