Thursday, October 1, 2015

Book Banter #2 John Green


It's time for another Book Banter with my friend Suey! This week's topic: John Green. In typical Jenny fashion I shall be taking the against side. Suey has sent me three things she loved about John Green and I will rebuttal them here. Likewise, I have sent her three things I dislike about John Green and she will be rebuttal-ing them on her blog. Check it out!  Here we go!



1 I love that he’s smart and funny and witty. I love that he says things that make me think. I love that he says things that make me feel. I love the way he says things and the words he uses. I think he’s a great writer full of real emotion. 
Truthfully, I can't complain about his actual writing. It's OK. It's the characters he writes that bother me. Are they characters you can love and relate to? Do they make you feel? Sure. If you want to love John Green. See, I have this theory that John secretly sees a therapist and that said therapist has assigned him to write stories about himself as a way to discover his inner self...either that or he's just a little narcissistic.

2 I love that he’s relatable. He’s normal. He’s gets people. He’s geeky like we all are. He owns up to it. He embraces it. He makes other geeky nerdy kids feel proud of that. He makes people feel like they can do anything. Because if he, a nerdy guy, can do it, we can all do it. 
Well, I'm a nerd but I certainly don't relate to John. Sure, he's a nerdy little inspiration to people but I can name about a bazillion different author's that write about relatable, flawed, unpopular people that are an inspiration as well. I guess what I'm saying is, John is not unique. He's a nerd in a million that is showing the world that nerds can be cool too. Other's just do it without talking so fast in You Tube videos that really aren't THAT funny. 

3 He uses his fame to teach and inspire other people. I mean, he’s probably pretty busy, and yet, he makes videos about history and literature and gets people excited about them. (His brother Hank does the science-y videos.) I love that he has so many projects all for bettering others. He has inspired so many people to go out and do their own projects and start their own things and be their own kind of creative. It’s just cool. And I love it.
Well, I'm glad he's such a great role model for kids...in person. I really haven't watched very many of his You Tube videos. His characters, however, are probably not the greatest role models for kids. Yes, they are real and gritty and honest. I love that! But I'm an adult not a teen. I would imagine parent's probably wouldn't be comfortable letting their kids read his books. The women are terrible, self loathing bad girls and there's smoking and swearing and scenes alluding to sex.  So these kids love John Green and his Videos and are all inspired...and then they read his books. At this point they probably think he can do no wrong and are perfectly OK reading about these things...thinking it's normal. 

19 comments:

  1. I think you hit the nail on the head with #3, at least for me. While he's made misfits feel awesome about themselves again (which is great!), I'm wary of the amount of influence he and his brother now have over so many teens and young adults. Because that sort of power can be used for good or not so good. That last sentence, yes! At this point they probably think he can do no wrong and are perfectly OK reading about these things...thinking it's normal. I suppose my wariness is possibly compounded by the fact that I haven't enjoyed the books of his that I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? His influence worries me and while his stories may seem normal to him, they aren't to me. That's not how my childhood was and I don't want kids thinking that's normal.

      Delete
  2. I must admit, I have only read one John Green book (An Abundance of Katherines) - the reason is because it was SO bad that I cannot bring myself to pick up another one of his books. I actually really like John Green's YouTube videos and all the good things he's trying to do with his fame - it's definitely admirable - but man, that book. It was awful, the main character was the worst, and it has put me off his writing. Maybe one day in the future I'll manage to try another one, but for now, no. If any of his other characters are even a bit like Colin was in AAoK, I wouldn't be able to take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one book of his I haven't read. I'm not in a hurry either. I just don't get the love. His characters are awful.

      Delete
    2. Yeah! I agree....I don't get the love. His characters are well....I don't like them.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read a John Green yet. I plan to, but he has made so many statements about how readers are "supposed" to read it has really put me off of him as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Your thoughts echo mine. Seriously, they do. I am underwhelmed by John Green stories. I agree, his characters are not role models, and frankly, there are many other books out there for teens to learn from and connect. Also, I like your theory...a good one. And, I should say, I feel like he has an agenda of some sort that he is pushing....in Looking For Alaska, I felt that big time when he was wrapping up the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's up to something. Whether it's a therapy assignment or not, it's irritating.

      Delete
  5. I'm almost afraid to read a John Green book because I will undoubtedly be that lone person who doesn't enjoy them! Your answers are hilarious Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be alone. I can't stand his books either.

      Delete
  6. Ha! I love #3! I completely agree! I thought Fault in Our Stars was good, but I hated Papertowns, and I haven't read anything else by him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fault in our Stars was tolerable but I still don't get it.

      Delete
  7. If we were actually being judged it looks like you've won! :) Some arguments I'm still finding head scratching though, I must say....agreeing to disagree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Yeah I didn't think so many people agreed with me. Crazy! As always. Agree to Disagree.

      Delete
  8. Great idea for a post ladies!! It was very entertaining reading both sides! I'm kind of on the fence with John Green. On the one hand I love him and on the other he annoys me. I guess it really depends on the day, the mood, and what he's talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he doesn't always annoy me, just most of the time. ;)

      Delete
  9. I've only read The Fault in our Stars. It didn't live up to the hype for me. I'll still read his other books, though, at least one more to make a firm opinion of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I though TFIOS was better than his other books but I still didn't LOVE it.

      Delete