Thursday, February 6, 2014

Review: Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy #3)

Title Shadow Kiss (vampire academy #3)
By Richelle Mead
Genre YA Supernatural/Paranormal
Pages 443

First Sentence His fingertips slid along my back, applying hardly any pressure, yet sending shock waves over my flesh.




Synopsis
Rose is back. With things growing trickier and trickier with Dimitri and Lissa life is never dull for Rose but when she starts seeing ghosts she's about to learn what being shadow kissed really means.



What it has going for it
Oh my, things are surely getting tricky now. This one was on the longer side but I found myself, once again, totally immersed in the story. I can't really put my finger on why I like these books so much. They're not amazingly written or anything. They are, however, well thought out story lines with one big story line weaving through all the books that is carefully put together. I like that immensely. I like that the world Mead creates makes sense. There's no questions about it or things that just don't make sense. (I'm looking at you Wither) Anywho, I also just like the characters. They are each fleshed out and individual. K, I'm even starting to bore myself. I want to scream and rant about this ending of this one. The cliffhanger. The drama. The soul wrenching horror of it all but maybe, just maybe, you haven't read this series yet and I don't want to give it away. So I'm really trying to just stay neutral. Sigh!

What's lacking
I'm sadly, oh so sadly, starting to lose interest in Adrian. I liked him so much in Frost Bite but, somehow, he lost his snarkiness. I wanted more from him. He seems like a pathetic drunk in this one. Also, through no fault of the author, but instead from a ridiculously annoying coworker, the shocking ending of this one was given away before I got to it. Not that that's something "lacking" but it certainly took away from the book a little.

Favorite Moment 
I liked the ending. I liked Rose's hard decision. Watching her make it was refreshing.

Yea or Nay?
Yes. Read this series for the entertainment factor and hopefully, I haven't given away the ending like that damnable coworker.

4 comments:

  1. I thought you'd give up on this series. Glad to see you're still reading. I have to admit I've never been keen on Adrian even though so many people love him. He's not a very good influence. I don't mind a bad boy but he's not really bad. Just a rich boy playing at being bad. Wow how did this become a rant?!? I'll stop now. Sorry someone ruined the ending for you. What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'll have to see how the whole thing ends.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're still reading this series. It gives me hope that I'll like it. :) I'm not sure I'm excited about the movie, though. It looks kind of dumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably see the movie just because I'm reading the books but it does look a little dumb. Ah well.

      Delete